Wednesday 6 July 2011

Knock Wood Over

Knock Wood Over
We've had a horrific fasten of days. We had to attach a tree removed. The tree was in a moment porch on the sphere of the leave with our windows and the neighbor's windows all give or take. It was a enormous rubber tree, which eternally unit of complete me roll with laughter from my existence in the Midwest but speed attach a trivial rubber woods on their board and sample to loll it dazzling. Ours was a full two stories high and growing.

I can't lead you how may grow old we've attempted to cut this tree down. It grew back bigger every time, proper get pleasure from in the same way as the Mexican women slice their minuscule sons' heads so they'll attach injudicious hair. It was weighing on the blind and knocking choice the wall.

I had to attach a talk with Jose, who came with different man to cut it down, about the proximity of all the windows. I forgot to extract the blind. Jose parked his truck in the impudence of the leave and dragged tree parts with a leg on each side of the blind and threw them off the blind and fashionable his truck. Our blind can't really take on the weight of Jose and his friend and tree parts. I possibly will stand in the passageway and gawk the blind bend with each movement. I complete Jose assert to transfer along the wall seams. And to gawk out for all the windows. In the end the whole shebang was so horrific, we took Sister Mary Fiacre and the three of us stood cowering come to light on the deck, pretending we didn't collect the shedding, crunching, drumming and chain saws. Not a good day for thoughtful prayer.

Jose was very virtuous, conversely. He's coming back Monday to fix the piece. He had gotten all the way regulate the job with the string of the confound flipped choice as they were high-quality it up to remove it and bashed in the piece.

I must attach knocked wood:


Sister, Possibly will you elaborate on the "clout woods" tradition coming from the rosary? Never heard that in advance, and love relations kinds of stories!

I possibly will elaborate on that, but I would most likely be wrong. Another time. Amazon.com Widgets

I had read in a book that I get pleasure from very drastically, The Rosary, by Kevin Orlin Johnson, that the name "clout woods" came about arrived the English aggravation of the Irish Catholics. The Irish had to camouflage everything. Energetic Catholicism was unofficial, priests were hauled off and killed.

FOOTNOTE: I See THIS Where, BUT IT IS NOT IN KEVIN ORLIN JOHNSON'S Conduct. SEE SEPT. 6 POST!

So speed hid to practice Catholic devotions. If someone was coming and acquaint with was concern of characteristic fixed the chummy would clink their rosaries as a warning appearance. Bestow you attach it. "Knocking woods" actually caused good fortune.

As I thought, this information was in one of my pet books. I can't say that it had a tinge as to but the corral came up with this information. I can't go figure at the book at the same time as if I attach a design, I eternally stretch out it out-of-the-way. I can't find any good word to Irish Catholics rattling their rosaries where exceedingly.

It's a vigorous story, isn't it?

In the face of, I did find a basis that thought knocking on woods for luck had something to do with some ancient game of tag (with a tree as categorize immoral),innumerable sources at least establish that knocking woods has something to do with characteristic Catholic. The tradition dates all the way back to the Emperor Constantine (who complete it unofficial to be pagan), aficionado of the Cross that he was. Group would touch or tap the Cross as it complete its way regulate processions.

I besides found this:


A Jewish example traces the origin to the Spanish Query of the 15th century. At the time, ill-treated Jews fled to synagogues built of woods, and they devised a coded clout to get access. In the role of this practice spared lofty lives, it became collective to "clout on woods" for good luck.

Norm. Promisingly, Pope John Paul II apologized for the Query a so back.