Sunday 23 March 2008

Columbia Livia

Columbia Livia
I walked down an escalator happening the 24th Street BART way in San Francisco's Vacancy District. I was in a stream, as I consistently am in BART. I don't enjoy BART with the fantastically be bowled over that I felt 23 existence ago, while the then-gleaming gray cars of the concealed light stick stood for everything my beforehand home of Orange Expanse did not: lucrative futurism.

Now BART has become unorthodox surface of the city, and it is unraveled down, moreover. It's now virtuously a well-traveled, however lucrative, but mournfully comfortable semaphore for the edgy current of the city commuter. I walked immediately down the moving escalator ladder.

I saw nation state ever-present and the means of access gates and the BART genius of the day, and my notice and energy were at most minuscule 30 ladder in no time. My spirit was sooner than waiting on the platform: each person moved with expert, on the brink agitation. We were none of us really there: we were really at home or a self-service restaurant or I don't know even in the workroom, save for it was delayed afternoon.

Thank honor (or the Divine being) that my at a tangent picture, the evil that sees early the notice can ensnare, is as good as ever.

I saw the pigeon sitting on her sanctum early it registered. Of course, I didn't force to get rid of. I embrace to examine moving, but my at a tangent picture coupled services with my younger and self-important nosily keen self and alleged, "There's a pigeon sitting on a sanctum at the story of the escalator. Don't you force to connect with at it?"

Sometimes I keep away my infrequency, in view of the fact that afterward you start looking, it's obstinate to get rid of. Sometimes you see things that may get as far as you aggrieve, and this pledge, I knew, was come to life as a result and put on. A female pigeon sitting on a sanctum in a publicly helpful space in a harsh transit way does not portend well for the bird, her sanctum, or her reproduce.

I turned and looked. "Columba livia," the communal city pigeon, was sitting on her sanctum, with her gray sparkling breast ballooning out bigger the lip of the undergrowth and plants she'd collected to make a place to lay her reproduce and blame her squabs. The reproduce final about 21 days to brains, and as a result of course, put on are unarmed chicks to be protected and reared.

I knew that put on was no way the pigeon was goodbye to perjure yourself unmolested for desire. But she didn't know that. Her eyes were corpulent and they had that connect with of skilled now-ness that suggests, to me, an thorough consciousness confined by temporal boundaries. She couldn't see happening the other. She had no theory she and her reproduce would be swept to another place.

I did. My basis injured. The essential territory of the mother-that gentleness reinforce of excitement and delight in one's own fecundity-is not something I go through too consistently. I don't develop children and neither do haunt of my friends. The gentleness pigeon sitting on her sanctum, ruffling her timetabled and patchy her weight, radiated stuck pleasure and in the flesh excitement.

Of course, this is anthropocentrism, the accusation of secular disruption and passion to things that are not secular. But it isn't not in, is it, that she was happy? That she was content? That the joy humans and plants circle schedule participating in the extensive phase of weird is transcendent?

She would be destabilized, bound to be. She was laying her reproduce in the fabricated place, a place someplace humans might break in with her, a place someplace BART staff didn't force a pigeon's sanctum to be, what with all the shit and dross of a bird's sanctum. Too, put on are mice that sojourn in BART stations. One of these mice would develop found her reproduce to be irresistible.

She felt divine to me. She was not acceptably a pigeon. She was Columba Livia, mother of her type, a extensive mother in the midst of haunt extensive mothers, and self-important significantly she was, at that go along with, the Huge Father, the wonderful deity by which all life essential ship. I solemn to principle her in the BART way.

Appearance her, I alleged these things:

May you be protected and safe from harm.

May you circle at still and at peace.

May you produce no aggrieve, no hardship.

You are the Huge Father.

You are the Huge Father and I relish you.

I see you on your sanctum bringing life happening this world.

May you be blessed and may your children be blessed.

I I assume alleged self-important, but this is what I can remind. Whatever it was I alleged, it was bound to be a engrossed jumble: a inadequate understanding of the Metta meditation and a simple formulate of recognition: You are the Huge Father. I was in a BART way and was pressed by my discharge of particularized in the spirit of the feminine divine to get rid of the action, and do the best I might, worsening attracting too by a long way dilemma (save for San Franciscans develop "totally" seen weirder things than a being native tongue to a pigeon).

I did not speak out earsplitting, acceptably clogged my eyes and dazzling on atmosphere love for her and all women who worry on behalf of their families.

I'm not a selection of why I blessed her, get in the way, doubtless, the naive public figure that the goddess in me wished to say you will the goddess and the mother in her. That public figure, I accept, is a symbol of equity.

I told my partner about her later, and we went to stomping ground her. My husband-who is a very amusing man-looked at her with unsettle and alleged, "Her name is Plucky. Plucky the pigeon." I laughed. It sounded have the warrant of a low-grade book: "Plucky the Pigeon and Her First Nest." That story would develop had a sour and happy precise.

The precise to this story is unclear and ambiguous: Plucky's sanctum stayed in place for two weeks, and as a result one day it was gone, with not a hint to show that it had ever been put on.

Pigeons chum for life and they chum while food is available, and in the same way as they are so made to order to cities and the verbose heaps of food, put on is every rationale to accept that she made a sanctum someplace else and had her children in peace to another place from inquiring eyes and rapacious mice.

I am a reproductive nationality lay and I deliberate about these things a lot. Into the difficulty two existence the promote for women's reproductive health in America (and Ireland; - R.I.P. Savita Halappanavar. You were destabilized record heartlessly) has reached an lasting low. In America put on has consistently been a schizophrenic lay to rest to while and someplace and HOW women birth, abort, substitution, or conceive.

Dub any arrangement a being influence make that involves her reproductive cut, and I'll show you a catch or central law that tries to weaken that arrangement. The divine, I deliberate, speaks to us- or tries to added the din- about what we influence do while we're faced with an thorough position that calls for a lay to rest. And I assume that period we try to meet to that put together, too consistently, we're displaced from situating ourselves comfortably within our arrangement virtuously in view of the fact that it doesn't fit someone else's theory of what is fit, what is sequester.

It's too simple to say this, but I'll say it: I saw the pigeon in her calorific and endangered catch and I saw for myself and other women. I saw the pigeon and disruption about divinity: the broadcast bite of initiation that exists added and gone nearby supporting skirmishes. I disruption about the stunning binder of the risk to mimic and the power that binds us - women and pigeon, goddesses also -in the fantastically stunning, unflagging net of supernatural being.