Friday 25 June 2010

Powerful Meditation For Emotional Balance And Relaxation

Powerful Meditation For Emotional Balance And Relaxation
A beautiful woman relaxing by the sea / ocean

Let's be honest about this. Millions of people could benefit by using meditation for emotional balance. We all, at times, suffer from a lack of emotional balance. We all feel stressed, we all get down, we all experience anxiety. Life simply makes it very difficult for us to maintain emotional balance. But thankfully, meditation can help.

Emotions come from a variety of sources. Emotions can be cause by chemicals in the brain, they can be caused by outside factor like our relationships and are jobs, and they can be caused by our thoughts. But did you know that meditation can help to balance all three of these things? Meditation can help us to balance our brain chemistry, to make us all sensitive to external factors, and can completely silence our thoughts.

Through meditation you can take complete control of your emotions. I know that from science, and I also know it from first hand experience.

A few years ago I went through en extremely emotional time. I broke up with my girlfriend and didn't have anywhere to stay (I has left my home in England to live with my girlfriend after several years of being together, and then we broke up, leaving me nowhere to stay in Canada, and I didn't have the money to get home). This was an extremely stressful and emotional time of my life.

It can be hard to balance your emotions when things like that happen. At such times, you need to rely on every strength you have. One strength I have always had is meditation, which I've practiced for many many years.

Buddhist statue of Buddha in a zen garden

By meditating I achieved three things:


1 ) I gave my brain and my mind the breathing space to relax, helping to balance my brain chemisty.

2) I gave myself the power to accept what had happened (the breakup) and to not be so emotionally sensitive to my current reality.

3) I completely silence my thoughts. I'd been thinking things like "I've ruined my life" and "I'll never have a good relationship" and, given my circumstances, "I'm going to be living on the street." Obviously these were extremely painful thoughts. They made me very emotional. But through meditation I was able to silence these thoughts, and thereby able to help myself to find emotional balance through meditation.

Perhaps you're going through a similar thing. Or, if not similar, maybe just equally emotional and stressful. If so, the best thing you can do right now to help yourself is to meditate.

So, let's get to it. I'm going to share with you a simple meditation technique that I recommend you do right now. Here's how it's going to help you. It's going to silence your thoughts, give yourself the mental breathing space you need to step away from the situation and find relaxation. And with this relaxation and mental space, it's going to help you to find any answers or solutions you're looking for. Meditation does that: you meditate for ten minutes and you find yourself looking at things from a different perspective and with more understanding.

So, let's get to it. Read these instructions carefully, then try the technique.

Photograph of a buddhist lots petal in a garden pond



A MEDITATION FOR EMOTIONAL BALANCE


1) As with all meditations, try to find somewhere relaxing, or at least somewhat quiet.

2) Take a few deep breaths through your nose. Do this repeatedly until you find your body relaxing. There should be a noticeable moment when you say to yourself, "I feel a little better." So, breathe through your nose until you get to that moment.

3) Now, I'm going to give you two choices of how to continue. The first choice is through reciting a mantra. Do this if you're alone (or if you don't mind other people hearing you reciting a mantra). If you don't want to use a mantra, precede to step 5.

4) The best mantra for emotional balance is the primordial sound "Om." Take a dee breath in through your nose, then breathe out slowly, making the sound "Om" (pronounced AUM). Continue for ten minutes.

5) If you don't want to use the mantra, try to bring to mind an image of a relaxing blue sea. Focus on this image, seeing the waves, hearing the sea, and especially focussing on the colour blue (which is relaxing). Continue for ten minutes.

Done? You should notice that you are beginning to feel relaxed. You might not be completely relaxed if you're going through a difficult time, but you should feel noticeably better.

This is just one of the many powerful meditations for emotional balance. On the next page you can discover my complete guide to all the most powerful meditation techniques in the world.

NEXT


The post Powerful Meditation For Emotional Balance: and Relaxation appeared first on The Daily Meditation.