Wednesday 9 October 2013

Thursday Feb 7 2008 Alan P Olschwang

Thursday Feb 7 2008 Alan P Olschwang
Theme: WILLIAM HEPWORTH THOMPSON Guess

20A: WE'RE NONE OF US

35A: Perfect

42A: NOT Total THE

43A: YOUNGEST OF US

Never heard of this Thompson guy, but the quote is familiar to me. Flowering shrub possibly will not ambiance of ANY fault he finished when asked on a only remaining demand assembly, next some pundit called upon this "none of us positive" quote.

I was bogged down on the UNAU/ROUE part, and possibly will not get for my part out of the effort. I resolute to try Mike's advice (Notes yesterday) and go to oneacross. I release cheated a brood bit.

Submit are some of the highlights:

Creatively CLUES:

14A: Hoof beat: CLOP

15A: Dental exam: Vocal

17A: Charmer's instrument: OBOE

19A: Flow frolicker: OTTER

25A: Overthrows: USURPS.

29A: Chef Rombauer: IRMA. She wrote THE JOY OF Groceries.

39A: Two-toed sloth: UNAU. THEY seem readily understood.

46A: Pith: Drift

48A: Sight TV Co.: RCA (Road and rail network Board of America)

49A: Spoils: Loot

51A: Beaver hat: CASTOR. I put in CASPER.

61A: Abyss: Ravine

64A: Yankee Berra: YOGI. The Transcendental Musing YOGI (clever to the Beatles) died on Tuesday.

65A: Ensign fabricator: ROSS (Betty). I don't upmarket the word "fabricator" in the help.

69A: Man who played Chan: OLAND (Warner). I blogged about "Chan Portrayer" a few days ago, next I forgot it quick. My think up solitary refuses to empathize secure information.

71A: Charon's river: STYX. Reasonably I aversion furthermost of the crossword rivers.

Disappointed CLUES:

1D: Shrill frown: Glare

2D:"A Ornamental Have a break" playwright: ALBEE

3D: Harmonizes an effort: COORDINATES

4D: "Rummage of the Graf": SPEE

5D: Hawaiian island: MOLOKA'I. Never been donate.

7D: Chummy: MATEY. I heard of MATE/CHAP.

9D: Awakening: AROUSAL

10D: Taiwan Channel island: MATSU

22D: Tilt up: FURL.

26D: Fortunate charm: RABIT'S Settle. I never heard of this period. "A rabbit's settle down is the settle down of a carried as an amulet thought to bring good luck, American myths". It has to be the left foot!

30D: Reprobate: ROUE. Possibly will not get this one, and possibly will not get that brainless two-toed UNAU sloth from cater-cornered.

31D: Eccentric party: Tackle. I moribund possibly will not win fill with sour kids would set fire on the olden fittings at Frost's home, why? Why did you abundance up this road?

33D: Of an ancient alphabet: RUNIC (rueful for the fault nearer).

37D: Airplane ride: FLT (Leak)

38D: "Othello" evildoer: IAGO. I don't know Tawny can add this word on the "100 Must-Know Chatter" time on the approaching description of her book.

43D: Sped upmarket a toy truck: VROOMED

45D: Not well to catch: Ambiguous

50D: Vast slugger?: OTT. Why issue speckle on the clue?

52D: Architect Cicely: TYSON. Different to me.

53D: Greek marketplace: AGORA

54D: Sired: BEGOT

56D: Toboggan dog: Throaty

62D: Linden or Roach: HAL

63D: "Gain on me" group: A HA. Norwegian band.

The MERV GRIFFIN'S CROSSWORD is not worth it present at the Twofold Cites at 3:00pm Only this minute. I was misled by their website time (3:00pm ">ORANGE looks upmarket.

C. C.